Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Ashley - Sunburst Mirror

Hi there,
    I am Ashley and this is my first blog ever so please be gentle, I'm going to try to be as thorough as possible so this turns out the best for you. I made this beautiful custom sunburst mirror to help liven up a very bland living room.



It took me a few trips to every craft store in the area and wandering the aisles to formulate a plan on how I was going to undertake this project and this is how I did it. First this is what you're going to need:


A clock face (try to find one without the routered edges)

12 1/4" dowels

1 large mirror

3 packages of small mirror pieces

spray paint of your choice

and wall hanging hardware

For tools you will need something to cut the dowels (if you didn't buy the pre cut stuff), glue gun, hammer, ruler, a drill, and a pen.

Let's get going. First things first you need to cut yoru dowels. I wanted different lengths so I bought the 36" long dowel pieces and then cut them into 10", 12", 14" and 18" pieces. I ended up using 24 dowel pieces. After I was done with that started laying out how I wanted things to be.


This is what I came up with.


Next you will grab your clock face, ruler, and pen and divide the clockface into the same number of sections as you have dowels because you will be drilling holes into the side of the clock face to put your dowels into. 24 sections was a little tricky to figure out but with a little help from my hubby and some patience we got it figured out :)


Now drill a hole every spot there is a line. After you get done with that go ahead and put your hanging hardware on the back. Be aware of the holes so it will hang correctly for you.


Don't mind the paint I was playing with my color choice. Ok now get your dowels out and start gluing and them into their holes.



After all the dowels are glued in it's time to go spray paint, what I did was I did my first coat and I did a cherry red and then took my glitter cherry red paint and put it on top to add a little something.



After it's dry I brought it in and took my little mirror pieces out next to each dowel and started again with the glue gun.


And there you have it! You now have a sunburst mirror to hang up and look beautiful for you!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment